This article was originally written by DDIM and can be found at Innovatives Produktmanagement für die Energie der Zukunft - DDIM Mandate (ausgezeichnete-interim-projekte.de).
Boyden's client is a world-leading German company, globally successful and a pioneer in the production of renewable energy.
When the interim manager started at the company, he found the following situation:
- Very competitive market environment (renewable energy systems) with high price pressure
- Cost explosion and challenges in the development of the global supply chain
- Many product varieties & project-specific product adaptations
- The Management Board is facing up to this transition and has been successfully realigning the company since 2020
In light of this, the manager set these milestones:
- Creation of the company-wide product roadmap
- Establishment of a powerful and effective product management department
- Gaining the recognition of the other divisions with regard to the leadership role for the product portfolio
- Focusing on the development of new products (or adjustments to existing products) with the aim of relieving the burden on development
- Establishment of the department including recruitment of employees
During implementation, the interim manager drew on his many years of management experience in transformation projects and his enthusiasm for sales and product management, enabling him to successfully drive the goals forward with motivation and team spirit:
- Creating a clear product roadmap and also communicating it
- Deprioritization of products that did not fit the new product roadmap
- Clearly defined inflow process for new development projects and adjustments to existing products
- Creating an understanding of product management as a core task within the company
- Establishment of the product management department (incl. coaching of the successor)
- Definition and coordination with all stakeholders of the new product family
- Supporting the market launch of the new product series with the largest onshore wind turbine in Europe
- Introduction of rolling product and technology news events, incl. training of over 200 sales employees as webcasts
"This interim manager's extensive management experience proved his worth. Today, product management is one of the central driving forces in our company. In the new core team with sales, pre-development and product management, the interim manager was able to carry out the necessary preparatory work in a minimum of time and get the application through the committees at record speed. It is the right product at exactly the right time to match our company's capabilities."
The results that were achieved include the following areas:
- The international product management department was successfully established in merely a few months
- A new CEO was recruited as a transformation expert (the Boyden manager had only been on the job for two months at the time)
- A clearly defined product roadmap was developed and a rolling process established
- Ideas for new, digital, data-based product developments are being worked on within the company
- The pioneering future product was defined, development was started and successfully presented at the most important international industry trade fair. The Federal Minister for Economic Affairs and the company CEO unveiled the new wind turbine at this trade fair
Excellence Award 2023
This project was awarded the Interim Management Excellence Award 2023 on the occasion of the 20th DDIM Congress 2023 on November 18, 2023 in Düsseldorf – the leading German Event for Interim Management and Interim Management Providers in the DACH region.
The picture shows: Uwe Brüggemann, Interim Manager, and Georg Larch, Managing Partner, Boyden, who accepted the award on behalf of Stephan Franken and Dirk Niederberghaus.