As an engine of MSF Canada and the MSF movement at large, the Fundraising Department (FRD) plays a critical role in securing the success of their social mission. Raising over $98 million in 2022 in private funding – through mass marketing, major gifts, foundations & corporations, and planned giving donor segments – the FRD is at the heart of their humanitarian emergency medical operations. Since the launch of the MSF Canada’s Strategic Plan 2020-2024 the FRD has realized impressive revenue results while managing rapid departmental growth and change. During this time the FR team has navigated and pivoted its strategy and ways of working to adapt to COVID-19 during the height of the pandemic, and committed to challenging the way MSF fundraises by integrating Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) & Anti Oppression Anti Racism (AOAR) principles in everything they do.
The Director of Development will report directly to the Executive Director and is a key member of the MSF Canada Senior Management Team (MT). They will be instrumental in driving the strategic vision for the FR team. The Director will deliver on the strategic goals for FRD, through the strategic multi-year and annual planning of required resources and investments. Using innovation, thought leadership and creativity, the Director will build on the years of investments already made, and embrace what the future of giving in Canada looks like. They will anticipate challenges and changes to support the continued evolution of a high performing department in a rapidly changing world. They will be responsible for providing strategic and empathic leadership and developing transformative long-term partnerships to help shape the future of the FRD.
The Director of Development will be a proven leader who is deeply motivated by the goal of MSF to save lives and alleviate suffering through medical action and bearing witness – the central pillars of their social mission.
- Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Development is a key member of the MSF Canada Senior MT and is an important contributor to MSF Canada’s Strategic Plans.
- Oversight and ultimate accountability for the Fundraising Department. The Director of Development leads the long-term growth, direction and development of the department and the team. This includes researching and understanding the current trends in philanthropic giving. Also ensures the responsible and efficient use of departmental resources.
- Drives the Strategic and Annual Planning processes for the Fundraising Department. Also collaborates with key stakeholders, on the research and development of multi-year fundraising plans.
- Ensures that all major partners carrying out work on behalf of the FR department work in accordance with MSF Fundraising principles and policies.
- Accountable that all FR systems are managed to maintain high data integrity (including data security, privacy and controls) and accurate reporting to ensure appropriate donor stewardship and compliance with CRA guidelines for Registered Charities, Public face of MSF Canada Fundraising, making personal solicitations to major gift donors and prospects.
- Represents the Fundraising Department to the Board of Directors. Creating and nurturing good relationships and enlisting the Director’s active participation in fundraising activities.
Competencies, Knowledge & Experience
MSF Transversal Core Competencies
- Commitment to MSF’s Principles; Acts towards the fulfilment of MSF’s social mission
- Cross-cultural Awareness; Develops actions which stimulate integrating behaviours
- Analytical Thinking; Makes complex plans and/or analyses
- Planning and Organising; Enables others to organize
- Strategic Vision; Has a long-term vision
- People Management and Development; Acts by example
Knowledge and Experience
- Senior professional with proven leadership, judgement, and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated experience in successfully leading and managing a diverse team, enhancing motivation, development and performance via constructive feedback and ensuring strategic alignment with organizational goals and values
- Leadership style that inspires teamwork, cross-organizational collaboration, and positive working environment
- Previous success in senior roles requiring analytical thinking, and strategic vision and planning
- Ability to manage multiple priorities, deal with ambiguity, and lead effectively in a dynamic environment
- Experience in public facing roles, communicating with tack, diplomacy, and an understanding of social protocol
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to inspire confidence and trust in donors, colleagues and key stakeholders
- Genuine interest in and commitment to the humanitarian principles of MSF
- Senior leadership experience in development in not-for-profit or private sector
Education, Certifications, and Languages
- Fluency in spoken and written English is required
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English demonstrated in previous roles that require communication with diverse actors; strong oral French skills preferred